Noun(1) the force applied to a unit area of surface; measured in pascals (SI unit, cgs unit(2) a force that compels(3) the act of pressing; the exertion of pressure(4) the state of demanding notice or attention(5) the somatic sensation that results from applying force to an area of skin(6) an oppressive condition of physical or mental or social or economic distress(7) the pressure exerted by the atmosphere
Verb(1) to cause to do through pressure or necessity, by physical, moral or intellectual means(2) exert pressure on someone through threats
(1) One girl liked to be held down while she was kissed, so there was always a lot of physical pressure on the kiss itself.(2) backbenchers put pressure on the government to provide safeguards(3) That way this self-contained unit will not put pressure on resources in towns and cities.(4) the gate was buckling under the pressure of the crowd outside(5) Tougher penalties for people-smugglers implement a six point plan to put downward pressure on petrol prices.(6) Already we are seeing downward pressure on both the US dollar and local currency interest rates across the Middle East.(7) He blames the UW administration and government pressure for the increase in students.(8) I felt an enormous sense of pressure to do that, but I didn't know if I would be able to.(9) But it took much in the way of arm-twisting and political pressure to get them to agree to the trip.(10) Nursing and support staff do a wonderful job but are constantly under pressure from ever dwindling resources.(11) The electrons exert a pressure on the ions just like an ideal gas exerts pressure on the walls of a confining box.(12) Continuous negative pressure applied to a wound is now an established method for managing patients' wounds in hospital.(13) However, the big question is: who should pay for it, at a time when there is already great pressure on police resources?(14) Although the French nation was being created in a civic sense, little pressure was felt in the short term to make all citizens speak the same language.(15) gas can be fed to the turbines at a pressure of around 250 psi(16) it might now be possible to pressure him into resigning
(1) blood pressure :: blodtryck
(2) under pressure :: under press
(3) peer pressure :: grupptryck
(4) pressure gauge :: Tryckmätare
(5) high blood pressure :: högt blodtryck
(6) pressure drop :: tryckfall
(7) high pressure :: högt tryck
(8) air pressure :: lufttryck
(9) pressure group :: påtryckningsgrupp
1. physical force ::
2. coercion ::
3. strain ::
4. pressing ::
5. pressure sensation ::
6. insistency ::
7. pressure level ::
8. atmospheric pressure ::
9. coerce ::
10. blackmail ::
pressure, pressured, pressures, pressuring
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
All I said was you look handsome.
The Big Bang Theory Season 8, Episode 8
Then, they use a PRESSURE hose on you.
Money Heist Season 3, Episode 7
and then sit back as societal
PRESSURE compels you
The Big Bang Theory Season 5, Episode 19
Which wasn't easy because
there was a lot of PRESSURE
The Big Bang Theory Season 7, Episode 13
There will be a lot of PRESSURE.
The Big Bang Theory Season 7, Episode 23
English to Swedish Dictionary: pressure
Meaning and definitions of pressure, translation in Swedish
language for pressure with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of pressure in Swedish and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'pressure'
What pressure means in Swedish, pressure meaning
in Swedish, pressure
definition, examples and pronunciation
of pressure in Swedish language.